Thursday 1 September 2011

New Teeth

Back from the dentist. My implant is in and feels ok, though perhaps its a tiny bit high so might need leveling on the next visit. At the moment I'm just getting used to biting down and I have to wait till my jaw muscles settle into a new pattern. It was screwed in pretty tight, then the screwhole plugged up with filler, it looks totally natural.

But more impressive, the prothesis on my right side is also in place and I have teeth again. A fact my tongue seems a bit put out about after having all that space to itself again.

It feels extremly odd, I have to say. The 1st thing I did when I got out of the dentist office was pop over to the hospital canteen to try some food. I only risked a sausage roll (This is Holland, there wasn't much more choice) but yeah, it was ok, I could chew on both sides, no discomfort, though as I said it does feel a bit odd. I wonder how it will cope with a nice steak!!

One thing though my tongue can't get up and over the prosthesis to clean the cheek pouch when and after eating, my tongue is weak/numb on that side so it seems to have problems. So I need to either practice that so my tongue regains that function, or make a point of cleaning after eating pretty much anything.

The thing is locked onto my remaining right and rear left side teeth with a bar under my front teeth. It all feels quite strange, and it also has front steel/tungsten/shiny whatever metal, at the front, so I have a distinct Jaw's from Bond look on that side..But since I can't smile on my bottom right that will never be seen.

I have never had dentures, so I am wonderng if this is how people feel when they have them fitted, like they have a gum shield in place.

Talking is very slightly altered too, I think its the toungue being pushed back into its normal place again and the area the tip of my tongue being slightly different,gives me a very slight lisp again...should sort itself out.


I'll post pics soon.

2 comments:

  1. Anybody getting normal dentures has to take a bit of time to get used to them. You'll be ok.
    It might take a little longer, after all, you've been without those teeth for some time now. Persevere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to take the contraption out after a few hours..it was starting to hurt...but I will persevere.

    ReplyDelete