Monday 21 June 2010

RT 1

So my 1st radiotherapy....a total non event really. Got there a little early due to trains being late, so I took a taxi from the station. But no problem, they shuffled me through reception to the RT check-in desk where I was given my appointments for the week.

All a bit helter skelter, some in the morning, some afternoon...and it seems these can't be changed so I have to arrange for things around these times.

But no matter, I was called in just before 8-40, my appointment time, the usual banter about not speaking Dutch with a Dutch name (starting wear a bit now tbh..I really must learn to return the conversation in better Dutch...mein opa was Nederlands...I think??

Was shown to a changing room, where I had 2 personal white dressing gowns waiting for me with my misspelled name (Brain, rather than Brian) on the hanger labels.
Asked to take off my top and wear a gown....which was actually a bit pointless, as you exit the changing room into a control area, behind which is the RT machine where you are asked to remove the same gown, less than 20secs wear in total.

A few details of the process are repeated again and then you're strapped into your mask onto the table, a few checks made to make sure you are still in the right place and off they retreat to the control room.

Machine spins around you a bit, makes a few buzzing noises and 5 mins or so later...all done.

Rinse and repeat for 6 weeks.

No sign of radiation based super powers...tried to fly when I got out into the open air but no joy.

Though I am totally sure it was 100% in my head my scar twinged quite a bit when I got outside and I was convinced the staples still in my face were hot....naaa was all in my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment